Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Who do I write for?

Well, in answer to the question “Who do I write for?” the answer is simple: myself. I don’t dream of being published. (Though I must admit it was quite cool to buy the AugNo Anthology #3 and find my story in it!) I write because I enjoy it. It’s something for me to do to take my mind off of everything I need to do (and be doing…like laundry and other household chores). I don’t do it to impress others with my literary prowess. I don’t really care if people like, or even read, my stories. Sometimes I do post them on my LiveJournal. But I’m not entirely sure as to why I post them on my journal.

I guess I’m not worried about publishing my writing because I primarily write fan fiction. (Though for the first quarter of this year, I have written a majority of original fiction.) I know that writing fan fiction, I won’t even dare submit to an agent or a publishing house. It would involve WAY too many things to either get approval to publish or to change it to an original fiction, not to mention, it could be considered illegal!

I enjoy writing. It’s one of those things I can do in seclusion and not worry about what people think of it. That is, unless I decide to share it. I do tend to worry about what to write next, but then again, my biggest worry is actually FINISHING something. I think I am too much of a perfectionist to think something will EVER be done. Not to mention, even though I tend to write fan fiction, if you wanted to pick an actual genre of what I write, I write realistic fiction. So I’m telling stories about people’s lives. Sometimes that makes it difficult for me to figure out where to end things.

Do I write to carry on stories that I think need to be carried on?

Sometimes. I don’t think I have done this recently, but this was how I got started in fan fiction actually. I started writing Star Trek and The X-Files stories and most of those were written to either explain something the writers of those shows hadn’t explained yet or to actually FINISH the story that they left open. But as for right now, I write things that I want to write. Maybe they are strange things that get stuck in my head (“She’s a Dream” being about a girl marrying a Backstreet Boy and not knowing he’s famous) or maybe they are inspired by stories that I read (my BOYB [Breaking Out of Your Box] story is inspired by The Hunger Games) or maybe they are inspired by my own life and stories I think need to be told (“I’ll Never Break Your Heart” is one such story, though I have NOT met Brian Littrell...yet). I would like to think that I would read my own writing and that I’m writing things that aren’t out there, but based on what I’ve been reading lately (a lot of YA), I don’t know. Not to mention, I don’t really go back and read what I wrote anyway (except to revise).

Cross-Posted to: krazikrys writes!

No comments:

Post a Comment