Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Crawling

I have come to realize that a week of Word Crawls SUCKS! Especially for someone who has kids.

So this week for the "I Have a Dream" Challenge, the mods are posting a bunch of Word Crawls. Essentially a Word Crawl is a bunch of tasks that you do in order. Usually there is a theme to the writing of the Crawl itself. I thought I would be able to do some of these Crawls. Boy was I WRONG! Here it is 3 days into it and I'm just about a THIRD done with the FIRST one!

Here are the tasks:

Complete 3 consecutive 5 minute sprints.
Sprint to 100 words.
Double your current word count.
Sprint to the end of your current song (or a 3 minute sprint if no music).
Sprint to the nearest 1000.
Do the 3-Digit Challenge.
Complete a 15 minute sprint.
Sprint to 1000 words.
Finish your scene.

The next ones get even HARDER! We're talking like 60 minute and even a 90 minute sprint! Yeah, I may not finish these this week. As a result, I changed my Dream Challenge goal to finish ONE CRAWL! Yeah, these may work to increase your word count (I have no doubt on that!), but they certainly aren't something to do if you have a life that is more than just work and you don't have a few hours of free time to kill. I seriously feel like I am CRAWLING through this first one. I'm working on doubling my word count now. It's taking some time. Sprinting to the nearest 1000 is going to be another one that kills me! But the 3-Digit Challenge sounds like fun. I hope to do more of those as time goes on. At least I am up over 1,000 words now! Off to go feed the baby and get everyone dressed. Oh and probably start some laundry as I need clothes!

2 comments:

  1. actually, the crawls are PERFECT for busier people because you don't have to complete the entire thing all at once. with the exception of the 30+ minute wars or 1k sprints, not a single one of the pubs has taken me more than 15 minutes to complete. oh, kidding. the one 3-digit one has because i got almost 900 words. so that took 27 minutes.

    you're busy, understandably so, but don't start insulting people that work traditional day jobs because you can't manage to knock out spaced out writing with your untraditional day job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never insulted anyone. I just said that if you have more than work, it's not something you can do all at once. There's no insult there. And if you were insulted, I'm sorry. And yes, I have found that they are perfect for busy people as long as you don't have large goals/times. The harder ones (with 30+ min wars and 1k sprints) are too much for me. And trying to do more than one in a week is probably not going to happen for me.

    ReplyDelete