Thursday, February 2, 2012

Kick the Sidekicks to the Curb!

Okay, not really. But I don't tend to do a whole lot of sidekicks. Well, I do, but not as much as some other people. I do have a couple of sidekicks in my original stories that I'm currently working on. For example, in my NaNo from this past November, I have Rhys. He's essentially Damian's sidekick. He's got a backstory and everything. He also came into the story fairly early. There's a couple more "sidekicks" that get introduced into their circle, but they're more secondary characters, just there to complete things. Rhys on the other hand, well, he's a good sidekick. He does what Damian asks of him, but has his own mind too. He's not against telling him "No" or doing his own thing. He also knows when Damian is pissed at him and when to stay away. I think that's what makes him a good sidekick. Also, he doesn't go around telling everyone how great Damian is. Damian's not perfect, but he's trying to be a good leader. And every good leader needs a second.

In my fan fiction, there tends to be sidekicks from time to time. Sometimes they're only there to serve a certain purpose. For example in my one fanfic "She's a Dream," Jen is Becca's sidekick. Jen is the whole reason Becca gets introduced to Brian in the first place. Then she has the incredibly difficult task of helping her find out who she's dating/married to. (Becca is just incredibly naïve and has pretty much been a recluse for several years!) Yet, even though Jen is married to Brian's friend, Alex, and Becca has absolutely NO CLUE that she's dating a celebrity, she doesn't ridicule Becca for it. Even after she finds out the truth. She never puts Becca down. I think that's another sign of a good sidekick: sticking up for the main character and not putting them down. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't last a sidekick for very long. At least in my opinion.

Cross-Posted to: krazikrys writes!

No comments:

Post a Comment