Saturday, February 18, 2012

Shut up Already!

So Liz asked about characters and if they talk to you and how you get them to shut up. Well, I don't really have the problem of my characters not shutting up. I have the problem of them disappearing on me. Well, more like they take extended vacations and don't tell me. I have had a few times where my characters "talk" to me. Not many though. The way it happens is that I tend to get ideas for a scene. For example: my characters in my KWIF story were "talking" to me trying to get me to write the scene where they met. Now I was literally getting dialogue and everything from them! It was great. The only problem was that I couldn't seem to sit down and write it. They didn’t but me about it all the time, but there was this "pressure" (it's the only way I can describe it) to sit down and write the scene. Now that I've written it though, the pair has stopped talking. I was hoping that after I wrote it they would give me more to go on, but they didn't.

As for getting those annoying ones to quit talking, well, I tend to banish them to closets. Well, not really. Sometimes, I'll just drop them in a hole. I've only had this problem a few times and I've found that if I ignore them long enough, they'll eventually stop bugging me. Sadly, I think my characters don't like me ignoring them because then they don't want to say anything for months, sometimes years! Anybody got any ideas to get the ones who've quit talking to start again?

Cross-Posted to: krazikrys writes!

No comments:

Post a Comment