Friday, March 2, 2012

Writer's Block Sucks!

I hate writer's block. I don't know of a single writer who enjoys it. But writer's block for me is something that I particularly despise. As a mom, I don't get a whole lot of time to write. It's usually after my kiddo goes to bed that I finally get to sit down and maybe get some words on the page. So if I'm wrestling with writer's block, it's especially frustrating.

I try not to let writer's block get me down. I have enough Works in Progress (WiPs) that I should NEVER have writer's block, but that is not the case. Sadly, I think I have writer's block on a vast majority of them! I think for some of them it's because it's the length of time that I've been (or haven't been, as the case may be) working on them that I have developed writer's block. Other's well, I think I just write myself into a corner and can't figure my way out of it. Well, not really. I don't think I've ever written myself into a corner, but there are definitely times when I feel like things aren't flowing. I think for me, it's the fact that I don't really get a whole lot of time to actually think about it. Instead, I've got about a million things going on in my head at once. (For example, while composing this blog, I am thinking about the load of laundry in the washer, the clean dishes in the dishwasher and the bills I need to pay and job applications I need to fill out.) There's not a lot of room left in there for an idea to spark.

This blog has 5 ways to get rid of writer's block:

1. Write! Well, duh! Tried that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's really difficult when my depression gets going and I can't seem to think of ANYTHING at all nor do I WANT to sit down and write.

2. Read (your favorite author)! It would help if I HAD a favorite author. I do tend to read more when I don't feel like writing so I guess in a way this helps. I mean, for example, my Apocalypse Fiction BOYB fic came from reading Hunger Games, so I guess it's possible.

3. "Word-a-day!" Essentially it's prompts. Pick something and write about it. I've done this before and sometimes it helps. It just depends on where I end up using it.

4. Reread your old stuff! Yep. Been there, done that. It works, to an extent. Sometimes I am so disheartened by what I read that it makes my depression worse, but sometimes it's all I need to get back into the WiP and get back on to writing it.

5. Don't take long breaks! I try not to do this, but again, with a kid, it's sometimes very difficult to write. I may not be the most consistent person on the planet and churn out 1,000 words a day, but I at least get something written every month, even if it's only 3,000 words for 30 days. I think this is the biggest thing that has helped me with my writer's block: knowing that if I can't think of anything now, not to go off and forget about writing for the next year, but to just pick it up tomorrow and see what comes.

750 words has been great for me getting over writer's block. It allows me to ramble on about my day, random things, or my stories and know that I don't have to share this with anyone, or even tell anyone that I wrote it! It's kind of freeing in that way.

Cross-Posted to: krazikrys writes!

No comments:

Post a Comment