Thursday, February 2, 2012

Plotting? What Plotting?

Seriously, I don't plot much. But when I do, I tend to write lists. I don't bullet like Keri. Instead, I just open up a document (or OneNote...more on that in a moment), and list things. I've got a list (using Chaotic Shiny) of names for my Apocalypse Fiction. I've also got weapons and spaceships. I do tend to label this list because sometimes I can get confused. Like for my Apocalypse Fiction, if I didn't label the lists, the names could be confused for weapons or spaceships, and vice versa. I've even got a list of quotes! Well, that one is for my DS9 fanfic, but still. It's a list!

I have outlined, like literally with Roman Numerals and everything. And even then, snippets of conversations end up in the plotting.

Something else I have done is research. I know some people don't need to research their stories and I usually don't either. The only time I've ever had to research is when I am writing a fandom I know NOTHING about, or very little. For example: last year, during the LWS competition, I wrote a Harry Potter fanfic. I had to do some research at some of the Harry Potter sites out there to make sure I got stuff correct. And now, with my DS9 fanfic, I've been on a couple of Star Trek Wikis to help with some of the finer points of the race that I'm exploring. I guess the research comes in when I want to stay within canon of a certain fandom.

The other plotting thing I do is that I talk to myself. Yeah, I do that, mainly in my car when I'm driving to or from work. Sadly, I have nothing to record my ramblings so sometimes stuff doesn't come out the way I plot in my head.

Now, about OneNote. When I got my new computer, I had OneNote on it. Now I've heard everyone go on about LSB and various other writing programs. Well, for me, I like OneNote. In it, you can have several notebooks going on at once and each notebook can have sections with pages in it! I've got about 5 notebooks right now. One of them was for a training I did and the other one is for an event I'm helping plan, but the rest of them are all WriYe related. I've got one for General WriYe stuff. It's got tabs for Points, WiPs, WiMs, Goals, etc. I've also got a whole notebook for my WiMs. And when you copy and past from somewhere, it automatically puts the link in! (This is great for when I research stuff!) It also has tags. Now these are similar to tags on the various blogging sites, except they are more specific. I like the "To Do" tag. It puts a little checkbox next to whatever it is and when you do it, you click the box and it checks it for you! There's also a highlight feature. I've used this for a couple different things in my event book, but not so much in my WriYe ones yet. The other thing I love about OneNote, is that you can click ANYWHERE on the page and start typing. And then once you click somewhere else, you can move that text box that you auto-created anywhere else you'd like. The only downfall to it that I've found is that it doesn't count words. So it's not really great for keeping track of words written or anything, but otherwise, I am loving OneNote!

This is the most recent question. So I am now caught up!

Cross-Posted to: krazikrys writes!

No comments:

Post a Comment